Choosing the correct adhesive for your application is very important as it will determine the strength of the bond and its durability. You can save money by choosing the correct adhesive as well.
There are a number of things that factor into the choice of adhesive:
2. Surface type
3. Surface Area
4. Clamping time
There are some gluing guidelines that can be very helpful i forming perfect strong bonds. If followed improperly or properly could make the difference between a very weak and a very strong bond no matter how strong of a adhesive you use.
1. First you need to clean the surfaces free from grease, dirt and loose particles which can reduce the effectiveness of the glue.
2. Rough the surfaces for the glues where surface type is mentioned to be rough. Use a fine grit sand paper for that and after sanding clean it. Roughing increases the surface area in contact hence increasing bond strength.
3. Clamping time is the time when you need to hold the materials together or if it is not needed to held then it is the time where you shouldn’t disturb the materials at all. Disturbing them early would weaken the strength and durability of the bond.
4. Have control over your eagerness which may be harder than it sounds. Don’t use the glued things until fully cured.
5. Sometimes there is a repair in which the joint will have to bear a lot of stress. At that point no glue can do what is required. For example i has to repair a generator’s kick start plastic wheel. It had to bear all the repeated stresses of the pulls of the wire. In such repairs it is best to use the composite approach. Go to next step for more details.